Reception is a happy, friendly and welcoming place. We believe that it is vitally important that a child fosters a love of learning, and inquisitive mind and a sense of self-worth; we believe that a happy child will learn. We pride ourselves on developing very close relationships with both the children and their families. We value and reward not only academic achievement but also kindness, good behaviour and thoughtfulness. With teaching assistants in all the classes, children enjoy an excellent teacher-to-pupil ration of never more than 1 to 10.
In Reception we offer a full and broad curriculum. Our weekly timetable includes two PE sessions, plus swimming lessons in the Summer term, two music sessions Spanish, French and ICT sessions. We also have daily maths and literacy lessons. We teach the children to read using a synthetic phonic approach which all staff have been specifically trained to deliver. We provide developmentally appropriate teaching and learning for all children incorporating play based and practical learning.
The Reception classes are housed in the Early Years building. The classrooms are bright stimulating and spacious. All the classrooms are linked enabling the children to enjoy free flow both through the classrooms and into the Early Years garden.
- Location – Our fantastic setting in the beautiful Bucks countryside, next to a working farm and with easy access into London by train or car.
- Co-ed education – boys and girls are educated from age 3 upwards, preparing young minds for the real world, developing mutual respect and healthy competition.
- Pastoral care – we are a family where our older children act as valuable role models for our younger children. Excellent relationships with parents, staff and children lie at the heart of the school’s success.
- Facilities – 7 acres of fields for sport and playtimes, an 800m2 sports hall, a 4 lane 25 metre swimming pool, Forest School, Science lab, Music room, Art and DT room, IT suite, Library and Learning Support centre.
- Children regularly use our Forest School area. See here.
- Extended school runs from 8am until 6pm for children from Nursery upwards.
- Children can use our school buses from Reception age onwards. See Transport here.
To enter Reception, children must have reached the age of 4 by 31st August prior to the start of the academic year in which they will become 5 years old. There are no formal assessments for entry into Reception, children are invited for an informal induction visit, usually in the spring term before they start. Please contact the Registrar, Sue Johnson, on 01494 782619 or email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange a visit to the school or talk through any questions you may have about starting in our Reception.